was originally known as Gold Mountain. Gold was initially discovered here in 1864, but
because of lack of water, poor transportation, and Indian harassment little was done till
By 1881 a townsite was established consisting of five saloons, two stores, a chop
shop (isn't that where stolen wagons were striped and sold for parts?), a butcher, post
office, a hurdy-gurdy, and many dug out homes. The Stateline Mining Company erected a
10-stamp mill and piped in water from Tule Canyon.
The mine continue to produce for several years. The post office closed in 1891
following a decline in mining. There was a brief revival in 1905 and another mill was
built in the later years. Ruins of many of the buildings and the Stateline Off-Roader's
Supply Store may still be found in the area..